This weekend was supposed to be the semifinals and finals of the greatest tournament in all of sports. Normally, we would all be talking about comebacks and buzzer beaters right about now. Instead, the world was introduced to a brand-new madness this March with the spread of the global Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Championship Week in the college basketball world turned into a week full of cancellations that nobody thought possible. First, it was conference tournaments. Then professional basketball suspended their season. Professional baseball, hockey and soccer followed. Then, the unthinkable happened: college basketball’s greatest 68-team tournament was officially canceled.
While it has proven to be necessary to keep people safe, sports fans everywhere were stripped of what many believe to be the greatest sports month of the year: March.
In an attempt to bring you your basketball fix (or just distract you for a few minutes from your screaming children), below is a list of our Top 8 Games of College Basketball’s Final Weekend. From near-buzzer beaters to a phantom timeout to a miracle from a kid named Mario, this list shows that there is just something special about March.
8. UNC knocks off Michigan’s “Fab 5”. 1993
7. Keith Smart lifts Indiana over Syracuse in Championship game. 1987
6. Grant Hill to Laettner. Duke over Kentucky to advance to the semis. 1992
5. Michael Jordan’s championship game-winner over Georgetown. 1982
4. Gordon Heyward and Butler ALMOST sink Duke. 2010
3. Mario Chalmers hits game-tying 3-pointer to send Kansas-Memphis to OT. 2008
2. Villanova defeats UNC in Championship game on Kris Jenkins’ buzzer beater. 2016
1. NC State defeats Houston in Championship Game. 1983
Obviously, a list like this could never make up for missing out on the upsets, the buzzer beaters and One Shining Moment, but we hope you enjoyed the trip down memory lane.